Over the years the school has grown with many developments made to the building. There are now 93 children in Scoil Naomh Cianain with 4 class teachers, a learning support teacher and a travelling resource teacher in the school.
Scoil Naomh Cianain was first registered as ‘Cushenstown School’ back in 1841. The original school house was located across the road from the current building and was there until 1934. The school building we have today was built around 1934 and consisted of two rooms, divided by a partition. The building was heated with an open fire lit daily in each room by the pupils when necessary. There were very few facilities until the 1970s when electricity and mains water became available to the school. In 1975 a Board of Management consisting of teachers, the church and parents was set up under the chairmanship of the Parish Priest. This group set about improving facilities and equipment at the school and required much fund-raising. In the period 1867-2000 almost 1200 pupils have been enrolled in the school.