There is a long tradition of parental involvement in Scoil Naomh Cianain. A strong sense of community brings parents and teachers together to provide a fulfilling and supportive learning environment for the children. While fundraising is an essential role of the Parents’ Support Group, the emphasis is always on the social aspects of the various events to encourage participation from all the families.
Supporting our School –
The Parents’Support Group are involved in many aspects of school life including:
- Advising the Principal and Board of Management on policy issues and incidents that may require a review of school policy, e.g. Bullying, Safety, Homework, Enrolment, Behaviour problems etc.
- Suggesting and/or organising extra-curricular activities.
- Supporting the Principal and staff in offering a broad and balanced education to all children
Like many schools we suffer a shortfall between our capitation grant and the running costs of the school. The Parents’ Support Group actively fundraise to assist with this shortfall and to provide additional resources for our pupils. Unlike most schools, we do not ask for voluntary contributions so we do expect all parents to financially support all fundraisers.
All funds raised go towards enhancing the educational experience for the children. Thanks to the generosity of parents and the wider local community in the school year of 2012/2013, the Parents’ Support Group:
- Contributed to the cost of books for the school’s Book Rental Scheme
- Paid for the rental of the school water font
- Contributed to the cost of new Maths and Science resources
- Subsidised the school tours and swimming classes
- Helped to organise and participated in:
- Gardening days
- School Book Fair
- Food, drinks and medals for the school football team in the Snail Box
- The Christmas concert in the Snail Box
- Tea, coffee and refreshments for parents and pupils after the First Confession
- Activities for Active School Week
- Creating and maintaining the school website
Committee Members – The Chairperson, Treasurer, Secretary and other Committee Members are elected at the A.G.M. which is held in September each year. All parents are encouraged to attend this meeting.
This year’s members include:
Chairperson Samantha Carolan
Secretary Aimee Cosgrave
Treasurer Madeline Mahon
Parents Reps on BOM Sarah Mc Queen-Meek & Seán Peters
The Parents’ Support Group always welcome new parents to become involved and to help out with school activities and fundraising. They will be having an AGM in September and look forward to seeing you there.